Sunday, June 23, 2013

goals and motivation

via
Lately I've been thinking a lot about motivation.  I believe that everyone has a core motivator-- a reason that explains most, if not all the decisions they make in life, whether or not they may make these decisions consciously or unconsciously.

Some of the motivators I can think of off the top of my head include:  money and wealth, knowledge, fun, love and kindness, recognition and power.

Even though someone may be a top executive in their company, their reasoning for why they choose to hold that position is sure to vary.  John may love seeing his bank account increase.   Sally may purely love working in the industry -- she doesn't necessarily need the money, but she enjoys working.  Maybe another exec loves having CEO or CFO as part of their title.  Maybe he or she gets joy watching subordinates squirm and work extra hard as they walk into a room {if this is you, everyone probably hates you}.  Others do it because they have loved ones they wish to take care of and provide the best for.  Honestly, the list could go on and on.

Maybe I've been thinking about this more because I've been talking to this kid whose personal motivator is SO different than mine.  I admire him, but some of his main goals are things that take a back burner in my life.  I think Elise hit the nail right on the head when she said "I am different. I want different things, I react different, and I am not pursuing the same men {or goals} as them. And even if I was, it would be a completely different situation. What worked for their situation, worked for their situation. Are you understanding what I mean by there are no rules?"

That's one of the things I love so much.  We are all DIFFERENT!  Sometimes I worry that my goals in life are insignificant, that they don't amount to much.  And that's just inside my own head.  And then when people tell me their big dreams for the future and how they plan on achieving them, {depending on the day} it seems to just increase the feelings of insignificance for my own.

Just because I don't dream of having a 7+ digit bank account or some BIG title next to my name doesn't mean that my goals are unimportant.  If we were all striving for the same things, the world would have a lot of failures.  And the funny thing is, I can't think of an instance where someone has told me the things I want to do in life are stupid {granted, it's not something I talk about often, or with random people...}  Really, the person who sets my biggest limitations and is the source of all the insecurities is myself.

It's important to remember you don't have to be the "best," you just have to be "good enough."  Only one person can be the best, while many people can be really great.  Just be the best YOU can be and the rest will take care of itself.

2 comments:

  1. So motivational thank you Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kelly Anne Clark. the end.

    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...