Monday, April 11, 2011

Being Nice

So...it's Sunday night...or Monday morning...however you want to look at it.  My sleep patterns are already way messed up so I might as well do something "productive" with my time.

Being nice.  What a novel concept.  Apparently it must be somewhat rare in the world.

I can make cupcakes and share them just because.
I can make my roommates dinner while they play a game.
I can get medicine and make soup for a sick friend.
I can do a sink full of dishes, even if they're not mine.
I can say thank you to the bus driver and tell them to have a good day.
I can take people to the store when they need food.
I can catch a friend up on what they missed in class.
I can ask someone how their day was.
I can clean up, even if it's not my responsibility.
I can listen to someone who is having a rough day.
I can listen to someone who is having a great day.
I can say thank you.
I can compliment someone.
I can be nice.
I can care.


I can do these things (and many others) without having any ulterior motives.  I don't expect anything in return.  Some people say I'm too nice.  It's just who I am.  I enjoy seeing other people happy.  Some people just don't understand that I guess.  They think I need a reason or a motive.  I don't.  Well, I guess I do.  It's just not the reasons they expect.


Sometimes being nice is what is needed to flip their day, or even their week, around.  Most of the time you have no idea what a person is truly going through.  It just might be you don't know that person on that personal of a level.  Or it may be you can't truly feel or think what someone else feels and thinks.  We're unique.  I hope that I'm adding to their team, helping them push forward, closer to a victory.

A kind word or action really does make a difference.  I've seen it in my own life.  I hope I can pass their kindness on.  It wasn't anything extraordinary...but even the little things are important.


What nice things have people done for you?  What have you done for others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...